Friday, June 11, 2010

How to Treat People


"Can I have an Ice Capp please with a Vanilla Flavor Shot"
"Sure. Drive Thru and we'll have it ready for you at the window"
After I made it ready, I handed it to the lady and said, "Have a great night."
Lady honks her horn. "I ASKED FOR WHIPPED TOPPING!"
Of course the customer is always right even when they're wrong, "So Sorry. We'll get that fixed for you."
My friend says, "Sorry about that. We didn't charge you for that, but next time it is going to be a little bit extra."
Lady replies, "Excuse me?! That was the rudest thing I have ever heard. Are you really going to give a customer that additude? You are so rude. SO RUDE." She continued on putting my friend down, "SERIOUSLY?!? How old are you?! HOW OLD ARE YOU? I work at a Tim Hortons and I know that you never NEVER speak to a customer like that."
"I wasn't trying to be rude. I was just--"
Lady cuts off, "You never speak to a customer like that. That was the rudest thing that you could have said and my daughter is a witness"
The lady drove off, leaving my friend crying as she stirred the next coffee.


I stood in shock. There were a hundred things that I thought of to say like:

"Hi! I'm Brittany I'm 16 and a half. How old are YOU? When is your birthday?"

"So you work at Tim Horton's? REALLY? so you understand that we all make mistakes? Do ever get really mean customers at YOUR Tim Hortons?"

"Can I get you some sugar with that Ice Capp? You seem like you need some sweetening?"

LET ME CLARIFY: I DID NOT SAY ANY OF THESE THINGS TO THE CUSTOMER

Though tempting it was to say something, I didn't. When someone treats us like dirt, or someone we love like dirt, I think that our first instinct is to tear them down as well...give 'em what they deserve to hear and put them in their place...but does that make us any better than they are? Rather I think of the song by Brandon Heath "Give me Your Eyes":

"Give me your eyes for just one second. Give me your eyes so I can see. Everything that I keep missing, Give me Your love for Humanity. Give me Your Love for the Broken Hearted. The ones that are far beyond my reach. Give me your heart for the ones forgotten. Give me Your eyes so I can see."

I don't know what was going on for this lady. Maybe she just got in a divorce with her husband, or maybe she is a single parent trying to get by. When your mouth wants to say, "Take a Chill Pill", in your heart say, "Jesus loves Her".

Hope she has a better day tommorow

No comments:

Post a Comment