Sunday, June 27, 2010

Fam-Jam Reunion



I am a pretty family oriented person. So it would be no surprise that when the family reunion rolls around every June, that it is one of my favorite events of the year.

So today we headed up the hill on which the top lives my Oma and Opa (You could say that they live on a hilltop just like in fairy-tales).

At first you sit around awkwardly, not talking to anyone. Its been a whole year and you can't remember which one is Tante Sieka and which one is Tante Marti. Eventually someone breaks the ice. You start talking to someone you haven't talked to in a while.

A highlight of the day was definitely when my cousin came up to me and asked me to play with him. This is how the conversation went:
"Can you play with me"
"What about those two little boys over there?"
"I want to play with you"
"I'll tell you what, if you make friends with those little boys then I will play with you"

(Background information: all the kids there were from my grandparents, so the two little boys didn't have any cousins or kids they knew to play with)

So now this is the conversation with my cousin, the little boy, and me:
Cousin: "Do you want to be my friend?"
Boy: "Sure"
Cousin runs over to me: "He wants to be my friend"
Me: "Well do you know what his name is?"
Cousin runs over to little boy: "What's your name?"
Boy: "Caleb"
Cousin runs over to me: "His name is Caleb"
Me: "Well does he know what your name is?"
Cousin runs over to little boy: "My name is Logan"
Cousin runs over to me: "Now will you play with me?"

I ended up telling my cousin that he had to play with his new friend. I supervised a soccer game in my grandparents barn due to the fact that it was raining outside.

It was a good family reunion. I was so proud of my cousins for being accepting to the second cousins. We had some great times, good food, and awesome reunioning.


No comments:

Post a Comment