Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Great Adventure



People that know me, know that I like things to be well planned. I like when I know that something is going to happen. I like being on time and I like schedules.

So Yesterday, Kat had her first piano lesson at family from our church's house. She had it all planned out and looked into how to arrive there via the HTC (Hamilton Transit Commission). They have 4 kids so I was going along to play with the kids as well as going with Kat the first time she was making this trek.

So right after school, we jumped on Bus 34 right on schedual. Kat asked the busdriver about where we would have to get off to make it to Dundas. At this point I was completely trusting in Kat. (Indeed if I was involved in planning this trip, I would be more controlling and worried) It was good to be trusting Kat. She had really looked into this and was making a real effort to get us there.

We got off the bus where the Busdriver told us to, and we waited for the second bus...it must have just left, so we called in to HTC number...we would have to wait in the freezing cold until the next bus came.

I always know when I am really cold because the scars on my hands turn purple...and I know that I was really cold because my scars were bright purple.

Finally the next bus came along. We jumped on. And just around the time we were supposed to get off, Kat asked the busdriver where we would need to catch the next bus. He pointed to a bus stop across the road that had a few people already waiting for a bus there.

As we were standing there waiting for Bus 5 (as Kats instructions said) we saw a map...it didnt look like we were at the right stop.. This time I asked a girl there if she knew what bus we needed to take. Thankfully we were at the right stop AND she was also waiting for that bus and said she would help us out. Turned out it was actually Bus 52...good thing we asked her.

But Kat asked the Busdriver about Terrace Drive and he did not know where that was. He let us off at a road that was a dead end road...Thanks Mr. Busdriver...

Kat: "I think we have to walk that way"
Brit: "I have no idea.."

(also if you know me, I am directionally challenged. If I've never been somewhere before and I haven't visually seen the surroundings, I will not know how to get there)

So we walked down this road. Every road we would see coming up, Kat would say, "I think thats the road we need."

Getting a bit frustrated and cold, I get this text from mom..do you know their number?

I tell my mom the number...

Mom: actually thats their old number


ERG. At this point I'm interrogating my sister

"They just moved. Did you not check their new number?"
"Ya I thought maybe they kept their old number. Some people keep their old numbers"
"Kat, Not when the move to a different city"

Kat: "Are you mad?"
Brit: "I'm just cold...and do you even know where we are?"
Kat: "No not really"


I look back at the situation. Kat was handling it well. She was the one that looked it up where it was. I'm just following in the snowy footsteps of my little sister, hoping that she knows where we are.


As we are walking, none other than the DCCS Gradeschool Bus drives right by us.
Brit: "You didn't check if we could have taken the gradeschool bus?"
Kat: "I didn't think of that."


We keep walking..."I think its the next road" nope.
"I think its the next road" nope.

Finally it was the next road.


We got there fine. A little cold but we got there safely.


We learned some things from this experience:
a) I need to learn to Trust Kat a bit more. She did a great job...shes not perfect..but I LOVE HER!
b) Dont be afraid to ask people questions
c) Fully investigate all options of your trip first
d) Next time we are taking the Gradeschool bus for free

No comments:

Post a Comment