Friday, September 10, 2010

The Web vs. The Spider




So today I began my day with some hanging of the laundry. As I hung several articals of clothing, even carefully arranging into color on the line, a spider began to crawl onto my hand. This spider was no small spider. In fact if it had had a chance to make it farthur onto my finger, it would have been larger than my fingerprint, which in my opinion is no small spider. I can live with spiders that hide themselves ALL the time so that I never have to see them, or even if there are spiders that I have to squint to see them because of their tininess, I can live with those spiders. But the spiders I have been seeing quite lately around my house are not my cup of tea. I have been seeing them way too much of them and their size is alarming to me.

But their webs are what intrigue me. The ugliest, most massive Canadian spiders I have ever seen (I say Canadian because in Belize I held a tarantula under careful supervision of course) make interesting and beautiful webs. I used to watch the movie 'Charlotte's Web' as a kid and the spider, Charlotte, writes messages in the web to save the pig, Wibur's life. Still, its not the Spider that impresses me its the webs.

Once I saw trailings of a spider connecting a bush to the roof of my house and for a split second got excited that a spider was considering making an incredible massive web, to hang from the roof to the plant. After that split second of hoping and excitement, I realized that that probably was not the case and that the spider was simply travelling from the roof to the plant or the plant to the roof.

The other day I saw a spider in its web. First it must have caught the insect and there it sat eating it. The web not only provides a sweet hangout, it also has the tricky stickness (hehe that rhymes) to trap flying insects. Pretty smart stuff if you ask me.

But unfortunately this spider lost its life, because it snuck up on me and scare the heebie jeebies out of me. As well as sneaking up on me, I'm also okay with killing a few spiders around here so I don't have to see them as often.

In the competition between the Web and the Spider (Web vs. Spider) the Web wins by far.


1 comment: