Saturday, July 10, 2010

Coach

I once again blog about a guy named Coach. This time it is not a Survivor rant, but instead memories of camp. Coach.


I first met Coach on the court, the basketball court that is. I was shooting some hoops with my friend, and there he was to tell me what I was doing wrong in my shots. This was where the guest with special needs got his nickname "Coach" from.

This week coach began to call me "His Player". He wanted to play basketball every day in the extreme heat.

Every day I would receive several reminders of our game that afternoon.
"Hey Brittany. You're going down"
"Whatever Coach"
"Is that a threat, Rebekah?"
(O ya I forgot to tell you for some reason, he thought my name was Rebekah??)

"You're going down like a horse"
"You're going down like an elevator, Coach"
"Is that a threat?"

And not only would I get reminders from him, but he told everybody in the camp that we were going to play a game that afternoon, and would tell several staff to come to the kitchen to remind me.

Coach also had another nickname. D-man (Dance man). Coach loved dancing and being the centre of attention. In fact by the middle of the week, he would dance right in front of the kitchen window during power and praise so that I would watch him.

By the end of the week, "Hey Brittany" slash" Hey Rebekah" turned into "Hey Baby".
"My names not Baby, its Brittany"

It was an awesome week. It was really great to see that Coach came out to camp and loved it. It was his first time to camp and I'm sure its not his last.

Coach made me smile this week. If you are familiar with working with Special Needs, you can get several marriage, love proposals during the week. Coach asked another staff member to get my phone number and my house address:

"Her parents don't let her give out her phone number"
"I need her number. Shes my player. How am I going to talk to her?"

Uh. Ya. Then he cried. I felt bad. He cried again. I stood there. Uh. What do I say to a special needs guy crying beside me and saying:
"But I love you. I'm so scared"


Ya. Thats all I have to say about that. As well as how I cried laughing describing this 40 year old man to my sister.



This is this weeks video. I'm not in it, but all the guests that made my day every day are in it:



No comments:

Post a Comment